Valuable experience "Be a volunteer"


 

Become a volunteer?

It honestly never crossed my mind that one day I would be able to have this kind of experience.

Since childhood, in my country I enjoy participating in various kinds of activities. Let's say starting from scouts, Red Cross, or maybe nature lovers. But I never took it all seriously. Just because I feel I enjoy doing it causes me to do it.

Maybe because my nature that likes to help others makes me feel happy to be able to see other people happy.

At first I joined a mental health application. Honestly I was there because I had personal issues and just wanted to vent about my own problems since I know I'm not someone who easily shares problems with others.

I repeatedly come and go there whenever I have a problem. I just make a post and then ignore other comments or anything else.

I did that for about half a year until one day the admin made a post offering everyone there an opportunity to volunteer there.

At that time I was interested and honestly just for fun to apply. I never thought that they would give a chance to me because to be honest in my country I am nothing, I never made an amazing achievement even when I was in school.

Chosen to be a volunteer who is applied by many people from many countries? I'm sure I must be dreaming if they chose me.

After applying, I decided to forget about it because I was sure they wouldn't choose me and I went back to my busy life, started doing all kinds of other stupid things I usually do. Until suddenly a week after that, suddenly in my email a notification appeared that the admin sent an email to me that they wanted to hold an interview with me regarding whether I was still interested in volunteering or not.

I read the email over and over again, shocked, surprised, in disbelief and speechless. My mind went blank. I want to be happy but I'm too scared. I'm someone who never does anything good in my life and this time they wanted to interview me. I felt like want to crying, screaming and laughing as loud as I could. I couldn't even tell anyone about it because I was afraid I would fail.

I decided to reply to the email as soon as possible and they gave me a schedule for an interview after a few days.


Due to the time difference, we will do the interview at night (my time). That day I was really worried, I was even really scared. Fear of failure or fear that I will not be able to answer their questions and fear that I will be disappointed if it turns out that I will stop at that step. Although in my heart I feel scared, anxious, and nervous but I try to push all those feelings away and still look fine. When we did the interview for the first time we actually interacted with each other through meetings. For the first time I presented myself as the image of my country.

The interview lasted almost half an hour and I'm grateful that god still wants to help me by making it all end with them satisfied with seeing my face and they said that there will be a next step that I have to follow if in the end I can be chosen by them.

After that day, there was no news for a few days, I guess because I've been disappointed so many times that it makes me think that this is one of the failures that I have to face, maybe I'm still far from their expectations. In the end I tried to forget all that again and even though I was disappointed but I was happy because at least I had the experience of conducting interviews with foreigners who were not my country people and if for other people it was normal, for me who was nothing, it was already something that It's amazing and makes me proud.

A few days later I received an email from them saying that they wanted me to send my ID as proof of verification of my data so that I could become their official volunteer and be able to join the training immediately.

I really can't believe my luck. God still gave me one chance that I never imagined that I would be able to do something this big in my life.

Volunteering is not easy thing, but for some reason I like doing it even though I don't get paid a dime. Seeing them happy, without me knowing I became happy. Being able to see them smile when they are sad and knowing they can forget their problems for a while because of me or they can find a way out or a better life because of me really makes me very happy.

I'm really grateful that they gave me the opportunity to volunteer there. I don't know the reason why they chose me and whatever the reason is, all I know is that although maybe I'm not a useful person in my country, but at least somewhere I'm still useful and maybe there are still people who know and see all that.

I did the training for a few days and after that I got to know other volunteers and after I joined as an official volunteer there, what made me the happiest was that I was the only volunteer from my country.

I am really very happy with the opportunity they and God gave me.

All of that taught me that nothing is useless. Even though it's a small thing, but if you believe and you do it seriously, maybe it will lead you to something that you never thought you could get. Maybe at first you thought it was just a dream that will never come true and maybe you will fail many times like me. Getting this experience as a volunteer, it really gave me valuable experience that whatever it is if you really give your best shot, everything will pay off although it may take time to get the best results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

Helping Others

Friendship. Necessary or not ?